Thursday, March 25, 2010

Grammar Goddess Speaks Again

Ew. I try really, really hard to not judge others for doing simple things they should have learned not to do in elementary school. I try very hard to be judgement-free in my daily life. I try really hard to live and let live.

Ew. I'm not proud of today's grammar lesson. I did decide to post here on this blog instead of on my facebook status so as not to offend my countless friends with what could appear as petty, self-righteous behavior.

Ew. I feel really icky right now. However, I must proceed.

Should've is a contraction for the words should HAVE, not should OF. When we speak and say should've, it does *sound* like should of, but that's not really what anyone is saying. When we hear should of, we are really hearing the contraction should've. All of this means that when we type something such as, "Renee should have called Mack to warn him of the impending doom," we should type should HAVE, not should OF.

There. I still feel icky, but I pat myself on the back for doing it here on this tiny blog that is not read by many rather than putting it out on facebook where my hoards of friends would feel as if I were making them feel stupid.

-GG

No comments: