Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Be Who You Be

So if someone tells you to be someone you are not, what exactly is that person saying? For example, if you are wearing a pair of blue shoes and the person says that you should get them in black, does that mean that the person does not like the blue shoes and thinks you would be better served to wear only black ones? Or if someone tells you to stop laughing so much, is that person really saying that he/she does not like the fact that you laugh at all?

Over the summer, I had a prof tell my class, "Be who you be." (I totally know it is not correct grammar, and so did she. But when you think about it, it sounds better than saying, "Be who you are.") Anyway, Be who you be has kind of become my mantra since July. Happiness comes from being yourself and being comfortable in your own skin. If I feel comfortable when I am laughing (note: not giggling like a school girl due to nervousness), then why should I stop? If I am comfortable wearing blue shoes, why should I stop? Isn't this (life) about what *I* want and not what someone else *thinks* I should want or do?

How many other places can we apply this thought process? To the foods we eat (I so heart french fries) to the beverages we drink (I also so heart Bud Light) to the way we drive (I heart speeding) to every other choice we make. Granted, I know when it is appropriate to do what I heart doing - I am not going to be caught eating french fries, drinking beer, and speeding away in my car, for example.

In my old life, I listened to a lot of country music (before I wised up and knew better). I remember a song that said something about having too much fun. I can't remember the whole gist of it (or even any of the words), but is it a crime to have fun and bring the fun with you wherever you go? Of course, fun doesn't mix well in certain situations, and I understand the difference. But places where I spend a lot of time NEED to be fun for me or else I will dread going there. And a happy Marcie is MUCH better than no-fun Marcie.

No comments: